Wednesday, November 21, 2012



weekend getaway

breath of fresh air

mussoorie, uttarakhand

(a touch overdue... 19-21 October)






A few weeks ago... well, a month ago actually, my friend Christine and I decided to take a weekend trip to a small town at the foot of the Himalayas called Mussoorie. I needed a break from the heat of Delhi, and Christine having just returned from a cooler place was excited to get to visit a friend at the Himalayan Torchbearers! We were unable to get train tickets on the way there, but our friends Jonathan and Huberth assured us that it was 'so easy and cheap' to take a bus. I was excited to get two of the last seats on the overnight bus. When I told Huberth what I had accomplished with pride, he asked as if in disbelief, "you're going to take a BUS?! Are you sure?!" I reminded him that he said it would be a great idea, then he assured me we would be fine. Well, we were fine but it was... not ideal. It was freezing, super bumpy and the two young lovebirds sitting in front of us reclined their seats into our laps in order to better canoodle. No joke, neither of us could move our legs. Picture a charter bus... but 8 inches less legroom. However, the bus did it's job and at 8 am... we were in beautiful Mussoorie!!

our getaway spot!

doma's inn

Some friends of eMi2 helped us find a place to stay before we came, so one of them met us at the bus drop off and led us up the hill to our place! His name was Raju and he was so easy-going and wonderful, all my grumpiness from a rough night just melted as we climbed. Not to mention the beauty surrounding us. It's hard to feel anything but awestruck when you're surrounded on all sides by the beauty of creation. 

okay, this was taken through a window
but I had to capture the way the sun set over
the mountain tops hits the other mountaintops

so beautiful

mussoorie reminded me of tuscany
...but different

sunset

mussoorie only grows in beauty as
the sun sets and disappears

We settled in a bit and had some breakfast and then hiked up even further. We went with purpose, actually besides just the Himalyan Torchbearers. eMi2's office was located in Mussoorie for the past 14 years before they relocated to Delhi one year ago. We have heard SO many stories of Mussoorie and its wonders and wanted to see for ourselves. Our director, Matthew, sent us to Oaklands (the old building) with a mission. First and foremost: bring back homemade peanut butter. Also, we were supposed to pretend like we were looking for the eMi2 office and see what the new residents of Oaklands would say. We did so, and after they politely told us eMi2 was now in Delhi, they started asking lots of questions... like what brings us to India.. which is eMi... so we were kind of stuck and got out of there as soon as possible. The new tenants are teachers for a local Christian school called Woodstock, which has been there for a very long time. 

I can't imagine what it would have
been like to call this place home

the opposite pillar used to hold an emi2 sign
which is now in our delhi office

In fact, when we attended church on Sunday, there were a ton of older folks who were having a reunion: the Woodstock Class of '63! It was wonderful to get to chat with them after the service and hear some of their stories. 

the silver-haired woodstock class of '63

sweet little St. Paul's church

All in all, Mussoorie was a pretty quiet place and because we only stayed one night we really didn't get to explore it in-depth. But it was a much-needed escape from the smoggy, loud chaos that is New Delhi. 

moti
Confession: I have been repulsed by dogs since arriving in Delhi. Never in the past 4 months have I felt the desire to touch, pet, embrace or even look kindly upon a dog. Street dogs are dirty, loud and to be honest, sort of scare me. Living on the streets can harden a dog - I don't even know what they're capable of. Then, in Mussoorie, I met this dog, Moti. Moti means pearl in hindi and indeed Moti was as delightful a suprise as finding a pearl in an oyster. He is the first and only street dog who has penetrated my cold heart. He came and sat at my feet and just looked around like he had decided he would protect me and give me company for as long as I would allow. I loved him and I wanted to bring him home. Engulfed in the moment, I even reached out and touched his sweet, soft ears for a minute. Then I sanitized. I haven't completely lost my mind.

the himalayan torchbearers' school
pretty sweet!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © The GOOD NEWS! with a side of curry
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com