Wednesday, September 12, 2012


how we spent our sunday afternoon

sorry, mom


Sunday morning the crew tried a new church! It's called FUSION and is a little further from our neighborhood than the church we visited last week. It was so different, but reminded me a little bit of a very, very small Austin Stone with a half-Indian congregation. Worship was lively and exciting and the Koenigers (eMi2 staffers) and the Klackalacs (upstairs neighbors) are members there so it was nice to see some familiar faces! 




After church, I dragged everyone to a spot that completely reminded me of home: The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. It tasted just as good as it does in Austin - I was so strangely comforted. With a little caffeine in our systems, we found a respectable-looking jeweler and went inside to get our noses pierced! 

I thought he was just marking the spot! photo credit: david

The man who owned the shop was hilarious and kept saying, 'No pain. Don't worry, no pain.' I was still worried. But luckily he didn't tell me when he was going for it and before I knew what had happened I had a stud in my nose and tears in my eyes. 

rajesh just getting after it. photo credit: david

He asked me all sorts of questions like what I had for breakfast, what time, did I have any chocolate to eat? (Thanks again Amy + David for running out for Mars bars!!) Ironically, when I started asking him questions, he shushed me and told me to wait. When he finished with Christine's nose, he told us how to care for them: diluted aftershave. 

not so bad!
After we finished, we sat on Rajesh's bench and talked with him for a long time. He shared with us his life outlook: he likes to help others. Technically Hindu, he told us that he rarely goes to temple and couldn't give us much detail about any of the Hindu gods. So many people go to the temples, he said, and then they do nothing else to support their prayer. He brought himself up from nothing, from a very poor childhood and with the help of a friend, purchased his jewelry shop. He so appreciated the kindness in his time of need and has since paid back his loan and adopted a sort of pay-it-forward philosophy. He shared that he doesn't understand those who don't extend their help to others, especially those in need. 

Interestingly enough, in India, many people believe that someone born into poverty is being punished for wrongdoings in a past life. This impoverished status or sickness is their duty or dharma which, if carried out well, will lead to a better position in the next life. Many Hindus believe that if they don't allow these people to fulfill this dharma (maybe by giving help), they will not receive a better next life. Likewise, if someone in a lower caste works hard to pull themselves up from their position and become something greater, this is adharma or the disregard for one's duty, and though it may bring better circumstances in this life, this will lead to a worse position in the next life. 

Rajesh did not believe in this. He has asked and received help for himself and his children and, in turn, has given help to family and friends and classmates of his children who could not afford school books. Such a huge heart, such a warm disposition towards mankind. We listened to his stories and asked him questions for a long time before parting ways. Rajesh believes that good people come from all lands and all religions. It caused us to think about how confusing and impacting it is sometimes to meet someone who doesn't know Christ's love yet is so good, so selfless and so devoted to helping. 

I am so thankful for this encounter and the thoughts and questions it has placed on my own heart. I'm praying that God reveals himself and does great things in Rajesh's life. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © The GOOD NEWS! with a side of curry
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com