Friday, September 14, 2012


swimming in delhi

a procession


This week I have been stuck in a strange state of limbo. Delhi is not quite home, but I don't feel like I'm on vacation. I also have found a feeling of disconnectedness from my friends and family at home. Just when I started to get really fed up with this funk, God dropped an opportunity in my lap that brought me home! 

huberth and the frank kiddos at siri fort
My project leader and his wife Carrie have four kids and they live two flats over from us! When we met them right after we got to Delhi, they were immediately hugging us, trying to remember our names and making us laugh. These are four of the coolest, warmest, funniest kids. 

I was so excited when Dannah told me that Carrie had been trying to get everyone to a good swimming level before the pool closed for the winter. I didn't want to seem too eager to help - but I couldn't help it. I was dying to offer my time to her and thankfully she accepted! 

I went with them once last week just to check it out for fun. I wasn't sure what to expect, but like so many things in India, the experience both confused me and gave me reason to consider the way we swim in our own culture - positive and negatively. 

this is the entrance to the complex (from a google search)
First of all, swimming pools in Delhi are few and far between and often times very costly. If you think about swimming in a land-locked city of clean water shortages full to the brim with over 16.7 million residents... well I have just tried not to think about it too much. Anyhow, Carrie has to wait in line early in the morning for hours in order to secure a 3-month membership to the Siri Fort Sports Complex. (Did I mention that she drives herself and the kids around Delhi like a pro?) Then, even with a membership, you must pay 40 rs for each swim. Guests pay 120 rs. 

The next hoop to jump through is that swimming times are limited to one-hour chunks - or 'single dips.' You can swim for 2 hours (yes, they call that the 'double-dip') but you have to pay double and you still have to get out of the pool for 15 minutes in between each dip. 

Once you get to the pool, men and women split and go into their separate locker rooms. There are lockers provided but no locks (still pretty safe). You leave your towel, shoes, clothes, bag, etc in the changing room and exit into the swimming area. As soon as you open the door of the changing room there is a bucket of potassium permanganate (the purple poison we 'clean' fruit and veggies in) for you to step in and disinfect your feet. The streets of Delhi are dirty, after all! This step makes me wonder about the overall maintenance of pool chemicals and why they don't just trust the chlorine to do its job - but I am so excited to see a pool I don't even care. 

Next, you must shower off before entering the pool with water that I'm assuming is not as clean as the pool, so what's the point? Women must wear swim caps. Dannah was also telling me the other day that many Indians believe that germs stick to swim suits that are more cottony, like board shorts. If someone is wearing board shorts, it causes a fuss. Most Indian men wear speedos or jammers. Women's swimming attire varies from one pieces with sleeves to one pieces with shorts to swimming dresses to bikinis. Anything goes, I suppose. 

william, carrie, everett, hudson, and priya
Okay, so that's much ado about nothing important. The really exciting part was teaching the kids! William has just turned one-year-old and so is not quite ready for lessons. But he loves the water and is so comfortable. Carrie or Graham will just hold him floating on his back and he is totally content. 

Everett is 3 and so energetic. He is a regular at swimming rockets, back floating and even has started working some arm circles. A couple in the little pool were so impressed watching him kick around they asked how old he was and couldn't believe it. 

Priya is 4 years old and is profoundly deaf. Most of the time she wears cochlear implants and never misses a beat. Her story is incredible and she is so full of life. In the pool, she can't wear the implants which presents a challenge but she is so good at reading lips and she is so bright, she still picks things up so quickly. Yesterday she started swimming with strong kicks and arms circles and it made my heart jump! So proud of her for picking up arm strokes in just the last two lessons (less than an hour total!!!!)! 

Hudson is the oldest at 6 and he is hilarious. He is total Bent Tree Bullets material: skill and attitude. His freestyle is looking awesome, especially his side breathing, and he has some of the fastest backstroke kicking I've seen! 

The last week has been such a huge blessing. Just when I was starting to feel like I was out of place, God put me right into my element for three fun-filled afternoons. As a special bonus, Christine and I babysat after swimming last night which was a blast. I am so thankful to have the Franks and their sweet, welcoming kids right down the street and in my life this season. 


there goes everett!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © The GOOD NEWS! with a side of curry
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com