Monday, December 10, 2012




gurgaon 10.55k

my first "long" run!



So, I mentioned a few months ago that I had been really loving running in Delhi. Well, we went on a holiday and then the city was so polluted that I really, really fell down on my 'training' to run the Gurgaon 10.55k on Sunday Dec 2. Saturday, Dec 1 we took a day trip to Agra. I couldn't sleep the whole night before and then we had to get up and going at 4:30 am to make our train. After a whole wonderful day of sightseeing and being tourists, we got back to our flat around 11 pm. All that to say, I was totally content to just take it easy the next morning for the run. But when we left the house at 7 am on Sunday, I really felt great! So I decided I would try my hardest and then I could have an actual starting point to work from. 

the smiling crew before the race
christine, amy, me, michelle, ginny


here we go!!


The race was in Gurgaon and was a pretty small event. I think there were only 150 people running the 10.55. Gurgaon is sort of south of Delhi and is home to a lot of foreigners and a lot of booming business and money. It was not to most beautiful locale and it was set up as a loop so the 10.55 was one loop, the half marathon two loops and the full marathon 4 loops. There were some people who did a marathon and a half! 

this couple did a marathon and a half
I really don't want to like them...
but they're so awesome

at the start

almost to the half point!

almost to the end!

 That was pretty much the whole spectrum of diversity in scenery. It was actually sort of nice to be on a loop because I got to pass everyone in our group at least once and seeing them and cheering really gave me a peppy little boost! They had, I think 3 water stations along the loop, and at the halfway point, they had water and gatorade... and hard boiled eggs. Yes, hard boiled eggs. Just in case anyone needed a little protein pick-me-up. I opted for some orange gatorade which was super salty. I wasn't feeling very picky at that point. 

halfway station

hard boiled eggs

So, confession: I really had planned to work my way up in training to at least one 5 mile run before the race. In reality, I ended up making it to 3 miles. Which is about the longest I have ever run at any point in my life. I'm just not a runner - or not yet, I guess. I got a cramp after 1.25 miles. That was disheartening. But even though it was a relatively small group, the race atmosphere is really energizing! 6.6 miles went by much faster than I thought it would. I can't say I really loved it... but I'm so glad we did it! 
  
my feelings at mile 5

christine finishing strong

Nike+ told me that I broke all sorts of personal records that day, which was really exciting and encouraging. Especially because by the end, I was a disaster...






at least I'm still smiling, right?


This was my grand finish. I had a cramp that just wouldn't go away and so I am literally pinching my side so I can keep running. While I recognize, this is not actually I long run for most people, for me it was a mini-everest and I'm just pumped I finished it. Finishing and having a time to beat now is the most motivation I have felt to keep trying and aim to outrun myself. So, we'll see how that goes in the states. 

the whole crew

just the gals
  
so worth it just for the 'certificate'


I will say, a marathon in India brings out some funnies and I'm not sure another race will be able to ever top some of the outfits I saw: including and Indian guy in a white-person-flesh-colored track jumpsuit... you know, the one that is a tiny tank top and tiny shorts. I haven't even really seen a man's calves since I've been here. It was a lot of thigh and I was a little embarrassed. On the other hand, I saw people running in jeans and one lady in a full-out 1980's sweatshirt suit. She actually looked like she was having a blast, I bet she was a really nice lady.

that's a lot of thigh, y'all

doesn't she make a half marathon look fun?

you've never seen a street dog run a marathon?

no witty words for this one

ladies nike shorts?

sure, why not?




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © The GOOD NEWS! with a side of curry
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com