Sunday, December 9, 2012




the wedding

our first indian reception!

and my love for indian bling is solidified.





michelle, amy, me, christine, alyssa, hina

A few nights ago, my roommates and I had the unique opportunity to attend an Indian wedding! My very first! We were invited by Mehboob, a close friend of the Klakulaks who live above us. It was a double reception - the ceremony was two days prior. It was the wedding of Mehboob's sister's husband's nephew.  So naturally, we were very welcome. Alyssa and I opted to wear traditional saris. We had planned to watch a video on youtube and do it ourselves but Dannah told us everyone at the wedding would know they were not done properly. Luckily, one of Carrie's neighbors agreed to help us. Unfortunately, she was willing to help us around 6 pm... we were not to leave for the wedding until 9 pm! But she did a lovely job and it turns out she is a fashion designer and once we got her talking, she pulled out many of her own saris to show us! They were so beautiful. I just wanted to wear all of them. Let's start wearing saris in the states - who's with me?? No one?

I didn't do a great job of showing my back...

As it was a Muslim reception, it was divided at the entrance between men and women. Luckily, the ladies' side was where it was at!! We got to see both couples enter and then they sat on the stage and were photographed and then the husbands left and went to the men's side. This rule of separation, I learned, was not hard-and-fast. Several men came over to the ladies' side later on in the evening. 

the first couple

Everyone at the wedding was bedazzled, but the brides' dresses were incredible. They walked into the reception sort of hunched over, which I found out is because the intricate bead work on the dress and veil is SO heavy! After the grooms left, the brides sat on the stage for the rest of the evening. They are not supposed to smile or look happy - they are leaving their own families, which is supposed to be painful and sad. So the two of them sat and all the guests were meant to go up and greet them, congratulate or give them gifts. We went up on the stage and when I greeted each of them, they shook my hand and lifted their heads, smiling slightly. They were both so incredibly beautiful. 

the brides with their proud mamas + aunties

so beautiful

But I started to wonder, while we sat and snacked, how awful that must be. To be on display, not able to talk or smile or enjoy your reception. But the truth is, I couldn't even put myself into either of their shoes. I really can't imagine what it's like to be them because the culture that they have been immersed in since birth is so different from my own. I think it would be terrible to sit there on display all night. And I'm starting to think arranged marriage isn't so backwards. Do they feel the same? Or do they enjoy being greeted and bringing joy and honor to their families in that way? Did they get to help select their husbands? Did they know each other before? Did they just meet two nights ago? Are they unhappy, content, excited, nervous? There was just no way for me to even make a fair guess. So I just tried instead to be a gracious guest and enjoy such a beautiful event! 

the waiters bringing us snacks

they kept the juice and coffee a-flowin'

You can't tell from the pictures, but the wedding was outside and it was very cold! Thankfully, the waiters kept bringing us hot snacks and hot coffee drinks. In the picture above, I am enjoying a delicious and creamy orangey-coconutty juice which was also nice. Finally, after a lot of snacking and congratulating and mingling, it was time for dinner!!

so many beautiful women and beautiful colors!

There was so much beautiful and delicious food. It's a long story, but somehow in a misunderstanding, I thought this naan below was actually a big plop of ghee. (Ghee is like clarified butter.) Apparently, the guy had spread ghee on the naan after it was cooked and Michelle made a comment about how gross it was. I misunderstood and protested, that cannot be ghee. No way. Amy finally convinced me and so I was mortified to see everyone EATING it!!! I was so grossed out I almost couldn't eat, until the truth was finally brought to light. For the record, the naan was delicious

ghee-patty-walla

Another thing that just cracks me up, is that great care is taken to make sure the wedding is totally beautiful down to the last detail, the ladies are dressed beautifully, it was a very, very high-class wedding... but somehow, it was appropriate for this gentleman to man the tandoori in this getup. 

The kids at the wedding were precious. When we arrived, Sana (Hina + Mehboob's 5-year-old daughter) asked me, "why is your hair white?" And one little guy worked up the courage to approach me while I was eating, extend his hand and ask me my name. He was about 6 maybe and was so sweet and very curious to know about me and how I was. Here are some highlights. 

sana



I could have sat and looked at the outfits for the whole night and been completely content. I described it to one of my friends back home as a skittle bag that had been glitter bombed. And it was. And I loved it. I felt a little under-blinged but luckily the week before, I had acquired a new nose rings. And I got SO many compliments on the beautiful sari I borrowed from my friend Dannah. 

bling ring from Agra

Great wedding experience, very 'first class' as they say here!

one more photo for the road
amy and I are giants here in India

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © The GOOD NEWS! with a side of curry
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com